Latest news entries
The winning Google Summer of Code applications for AbiSource have been announced. The AbiWord developers show strong support for the emerging OOXML ISO standard by the selection of 2 winning proposals about improving AbiWord's OOXML import and (currently non-existent) export filters.
This year's winning entries are:
- Getting rid of non-portable library use in AbiWord/Gtk+ (read: make AbiWord use Cairo and GTK-Print)
- Improve LaTeX Support (read: improve the LaTeX exporter)
- AbiWord Multiple Page View
- Rethinking Styles (make our style related dialogs not suck)
- Improve OOXML support (this one focusses on the import filter)
- Proposal for developing OOXML Export plugin for AbiWord
PS. Please don't flame me to death. We don't particularly like or dislike the OOXML format itself. It was a joke. Funny.
Interestingly, we did receive quite a few applications about improving OOXML support, while we got zero OpenDocument related proposals. Apparently the support for the OpenDocument ISO standard isn't strong enough in the F/OSS community to actually make an effort to improve support for it. Even when paid. Food for thought.